Christmas Safety Tips for Cats

My cat Athena inspects Christmas decorations


It’s important to make your kitty household as safe as possible, just as you would for your little humans.
A big, bright, sparkly Christmas tree might look lovely in your living room, but what if your cat ‘lives’ in this room too? Think of all those pine needles on the floor. They are toxic if ingested by your cat and can cause liver failure. There are also many harmful chemicals in the water your tree stands in. Fire retardants used on both live trees and artificial ones can cause other serious illnesses such as thyroid in cats (and humans too). Artificial trees are potentially dangerous as well.

If you have another room in your house in which you can put the tree this is a suitable alternative. But ensure that you supervise your cat at all times and if you are not around to do that make sure you lock the door to keep kitty out of that room.

Christmas tree lights are dangerous too and can cause nasty electric shocks or burns. And watch out for those other decorations and ornaments. Tinsel can be chewed and get lodged in the cat’s throat as well as causing internal blockages..

And don’t forget that mistletoe and holly can be poisonous to cats too, as well as many other plants and flowers.

For more cat friendly Christmas tips and advice go HERE and HERE and HERE

About Marie

Proud cat mum Marie Symeou is a writer, cat blogger/photographer & animal rights advocate. Her rescue cat Athena is her muse and soulmate.

2 Thoughts on “Christmas Safety Tips for Cats

  1. That’s great food for thought. I guess the same applies to us doggies.

Post Navigation

%d bloggers like this: